Skilled Nominated Visa 190
Skilled Nominated visa
- 75% of applications: 10 months
- 90% of applications: 12 months
With this visa, you can
- work and study anywhere in Australia
- sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- if eligible, become an Australian citizen
- have an occupation on the relevant skilled list
- have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
- be invited to apply for this visa
- satisfy the points test
With this visa you can
- stay in Australia permanently
- work and study in Australia
- enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
- sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
- travel to and from Australia for 5 years
- if eligible, become an Australian citizen
Newly arrived residents may have to wait before they can access certain Australian Government payments and benefits.
How long you can stay
This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely. The visa has a travel component that expires 5 years after the date of visa grant.
You become a permanent resident on the day we grant the visa.
For citizenship purposes, your permanent residency starts on the day:
- we grant the visa, if you are in Australia
- you enter Australia on this visa, if you are outside Australia
You can include members of the family unit in your application. You can:
- include them when you lodge your visa application
- add them after you lodge your application but before we decide on your visa.
Family members who apply for the visa must meet our health and character requirements. Family members not accompanying you to Australia might also need to meet our health and character requirements.
If your partner or dependent children are not included in this application, to assist us in processing your visa please tell us the reason why.
The visa costs AUD4,045 for the main applicant.
There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa with you.
To work out what your visa will cost use the Visa Pricing Estimator.
You might have to pay an extra charge for any applicant 18 years old or older who has less than functional English. This charge is called the second instalment. Pay it only when we ask you to. We ask for the charge only if we are going to grant the visa.
The second instalment charge for family members is AUD4,885.
You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for the visa and when we decide your application but not in immigration clearance.
If you apply in Australia, you must hold a substantive visa or a Subclass 010 Bridging A visa, a Subclass 020 Bridging B visa or a Subclass 030 Bridging C visa, otherwise your application will not be valid.
We assess applications on a case-by-case basis, and actual processing times can vary due to individual circumstances including:
- whether you have lodged a complete application, including all necessary supporting documents
- how quickly you respond to any requests for additional information
- how long it takes to perform required checks on the supporting information provided
- how long it takes to receive additional information from external agencies, particularly in relation to health, character, and national security requirements
- for permanent migration visa applications, how many places are available in the migration program
You can travel in and out of Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date we grant the visa. After 5 years you will need a Resident Return (RRV) visa (subclass 155 or 157) to re-enter Australia as a permanent resident.
We will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.
Be invited to apply
You can only apply for this visa if we invite you to. See before you apply.
Submit an expression of interest (EOI) to let us know you would like to apply for the visa.
After you have submitted an EOI, you might be nominated for the visa by a state or territory government. We will only invite you to apply for this visa if you are nominated.
You must have been nominated for this visa by an Australian state or territory government agency.
Submit a completed expression of interest (EOI) in SkillSelect. State and territory government agencies can see your completed EOI and might nominate you for the visa.
If you are nominated for the visa, we will invite you to apply.
All state and territory government agencies have their own criteria for deciding who they will nominate. Contact the state or territory agency directly to find out more about their nomination process and what they want from you.
- Australian Capital Territory
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- South Australia
- Western Australia
If the state or territory agency that nominates you withdraws your nomination after you have applied, your application becomes invalid.
Have a relevant skills assessment
For your application to be valid, you must declare that you have a suitable skills assessment at the time of invitation.
You will need to provide a copy of this skills assessment with your application.
For medical and legal practitioners, we also accept the following as proof of a skills assessment:
- full or unconditional or general medical registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
- conditional specialist registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency. This only allows you to practise in your speciality. You need no further training or supervision
- admission to practice law in the relevant state or territory
Your skills assessment must have been obtained in the 3 years before the date of your invitation. If the assessment was for a shorter period, that period must not have passed.
If your skills were assessed on the basis of a qualification you got in Australia when you held a student visa, the qualification must be from studying a course registered on CRICOS.
Be this age
You must be aged under 45 when we invite you to apply for the visa.
You can still apply for the visa if you turn 45 after we invite you to apply.
If you turn 45 after you submit your EOI but before we invite you to apply, you will not be invited to apply.
Be able to score 65 points or more
The subclass 190 is a points-tested visa.
When you submit your EOI in SkillSelect you will be given an indicative points score based on the claims you have made. If you do not obtain a score of 65 points you will not be invited to apply for this visa.
If we do invite you to apply for the visa, your invitation will state the number of points that you must score when we assess your application for grant of the visa (this score may be higher than 65 points, depending on your claims in the EOI).
When you lodge your application you must provide evidence supporting your claims.
To check how points can be awarded refer to the points calculator.
Have this level of English language
At the time of invitation, you must have at least competent English.
Meet the skills requirement
Your occupation must be on the relevant list of eligible skilled occupations for the 190 Skilled Nominated visa
Meet our health requirement
You and any family who apply for the visa with you must meet our health requirement.
If requested, family members not accompanying you to Australia might also need to meet our health requirement.
Meet our character requirement
You and family members aged 16 years and over who apply for the visa with you must meet our character requirement.
Family members not accompanying you to Australia must also meet the character requirement.
Have paid back your debt to the Australian government
If you or any family members (including those who do not apply for the visa with you) owe the Australian Government money, you or they must have paid it back or arranged to pay it back.
Sign the Australian values statement
If you are 18 years of age or older, you must:
- have read, or had explained to you, the Life in Australia and
- confirm you will respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws when you sign an Australian Values Statement
Not had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused
You might not be eligible for this visa if you have had a visa cancelled or refused while you were in Australia. Check if visa cancellation affects your eligibility.
We Will Help You Renew Your Student Visa On Time!
Here at Settlers Migration our team of migration agents can provide you with the appropriate guidance and advice so you can put forth the best application possible for any Visa you are going for.