Electronic Travel Authority Visa 601

Electronic Travel Authority Visa

Visit Australia as often as you wish in a 12-month period. Stay up to 3 months each time you enter Australia.

electronic travel authority visa 601


Up to 3 months at a time


Free. There is an online application service charge of AUD20

Processing times

Processing time for this visa is not available.

With this visa you can

You must

  • apply from outside Australia
  • have an eligible passport

With this visa you can

Travel to Australia:

  • as a tourist – for example, to cruise or have a holiday 
  • to visit family or friends
  • as a business visitor

You can study or train for up to 3 months in total on this visa. But if your main reason for travelling to Australia is study, a student visa might be more appropriate.

Note: Applicants who are seeking to train at a childcare centre, study to be a doctor, dentist, nurse or paramedic or enter health care or hospital environments should apply for the Visitor (subclass 600) visa and complete the relevant health checks.


You will need a visa if you enter Australia during a cruise.

If your cruise is a round trip cruise, the time you spend on the cruise counts as time spent in Australia – that is, we do not consider you have left Australia. A round trip cruise will not reset your stay period on your visa.

Ask your cruise operator or travel agent if we consider your cruise to be a round trip cruise.

Business visitor

As a business visitor, you can:

  • make general business or employment enquiries
  • investigate, negotiate, enter into or review a business contract
  • conduct activities as part of an official government visit
  • take part in a conference, trade fair or seminar. The organisers can’t pay you to take part

You can’t:

  • work for or provide services to a business or organisation based in Australia
  • sell goods or services directly to the public

If you want to do short-term work in Australia that isn’t a business visitor activity, consider applying for a temporary work visa.

How long you can stay

This is a temporary visa. We grant it for either 12 months from the date it is granted, or how long your passport is valid for, whichever is the shorter.

The visa is granted with multiple entry. You can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you want while it is valid. You can remain in Australia for 3 months after each entry.

The visa starts on the date it is granted unless you hold another substantive visa that is in effect. 

Stay longer

You can’t stay in Australia longer by extending this visa. You must apply for another visa.

If you want to have a further short stay or stay longer for a holiday you might be eligible for a Visitor visa (subclass 600) Tourist stream (apply in Australia).

If you want to stay longer for other reasons, you should be able to apply for a new visa that suits your circumstances.

Including family

You can’t include family members in your application. A separate application must be made for each member of your family, including those listed on your passport.


The ETA is free. There is an online application service cost of AUD20.

Apply from

If you are outside Australia when you apply, you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.

If you apply from immigration clearance, you must be in immigration clearance when the visa is granted.

Processing times

​Processing time for this visa is not available.

Your application might take longer to process if:

  • you don’t fill it in correctly
  • it takes us time to verify your information

Your obligations

You must meet all visa conditions and obey Australian laws.

Health insurance

We recommend you take out health insurance to cover any unforeseen medical treatment you might need in Australia. You are personally liable for all your healthcare costs while you are in Australia. Insurance can help limit your financial liability.

Reciprocal healthcare agreements

Some countries have a reciprocal healthcare agreement with Australia. Find out more from Services Australia about reciprocal healthcare agreements. 


You can travel outside Australia and return as many times as you want while the visa is valid.

Visa label

We will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.​​

Your ETA is attached to your current passport. If your current passport expires or you get a new passport:

  • your ETA will cease
  • you must apply for a new ETA

Other visas

Holding another substantive visa at the same time as an ETA will affect how you enter Australia.

Maritime Crew visa or Special Purpose visa

If you hold a Maritime Crew visa or a Special Purpose visa and you are granted an ETA, your ETA will come into effect when it is granted and you will hold both visas concurrently. When you arrive in Australia, you will enter on both visas. You can stay in Australia for the longer of the 2 visa periods.

If the longer period exceeds 3 months the ETA will cease, but you can remain for the duration of the other visa’s stay period.

Any other substantive visa

If you hold any other substantive visa and an ETA when you arrive in Australia, you will enter Australia on your other substantive visa, not your ETA. Your ETA will come into effect when the other visa ceases.

However, the 3-month ETA stay period still begins when you enter Australia.

Check your other substantive visa is valid for more than 3 months if you want to stay in Australia longer than the 3-month ETA stay period.

Have an eligible passport

You can apply for an ETA if you hold a passport from:

  • Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong (SAR of China)
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Liechtenstein
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Republic of San Marino
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan (excluding official or diplomatic passports)
  • The Netherlands
  • United Kingdom—British Citizen
  • United Kingdom—British National (Overseas)
  • United States of America
  • Vatican City

You can’t apply with a non-citizen passport, certificate of identity or other travel document.

Be a genuine visitor

You must only intend to:

  • stay temporarily in Australia
  • obey any condition and stay period attached to your visa

Meet our health requirement

You must meet our health requirement.

Meet our character requirement

You must meet our character requirement.

Have paid back debt to the Australian Government

If you or any family members (including those who don’t apply for the visa with you) owe the Australian Government money, you or they must have paid it back or arranged to pay it back.

Best interests of the child

We might not grant this visa if it is not in the best interests of an applicant under 18.

get advice and assistance

We Will Help You Renew Your Student Visa On Time!

Here at Settlers Migration our team of migration agents can provide you with the appropriate guidance and advice so you can put forth the best application possible for any Visa you are going for.

Seraphinite AcceleratorOptimized by Seraphinite Accelerator
Turns on site high speed to be attractive for people and search engines.