Partner Provisional visa 100

Permanent Partner Visa (Provisional)

The visa lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, live in Australia permanently. It is usually granted to people who hold a temporary Partner visa (subclass 309).

permanent partner visa offshore 100




You will have paid for this visa when you applied for the combined temporary and permanent partner visas.

Processing times

  • 75% of applications: 16 months
  • 90% of applications: 22 months

With this visa you can

  • live, work and study in Australia indefinitely
  • sponsor eligible family members to come to Australia
  • apply for Australian citizenship if eligible

You must

  • in most cases, hold a temporary Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309)
  • in most cases, continue to be in a genuine and ongoing relationship with your partner

With this visa you can

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work in Australia
  • study in Australia
  • enrol in Australia’s public healthcare scheme, Medicare
  • sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
  • travel to and from Australia for 5 years
  • if eligible, attend free English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
  • if eligible, apply for Australian citizenship

Travel to and from Australia for 5 years

If you are outside Australia at the time of visa grant you must enter Australia before the date specified in your grant letter. The first entry date is generally set at 12 months from the date of visa grant.

You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date we grant this visa. This is as long as the travel facility on this visa remains valid.

If you want to travel after the initial 5 year travel facility:

  • you will need to apply for and be granted a Resident Return (RRV) so that you can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident.
  • you might also want to consider Australian citizenship. If you become an Australian citizen, you do not require a visa to enter Australia. You will need to apply for an Australian passport and use it to leave and re-enter Australia. See more about eligibility requirements and current processing times for Australian citizenship

To see when your travel condition ends, use VEVO.

How long you can stay

This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.

You become a permanent resident on the day we grant the visa.

For citizenship purposes, your permanent residency starts on the day:

  • we grant the visa if you are in Australia
  • you enter Australia on this visa if you are outside Australia

Include family

You can include members of the family unit in your application when you apply for the combined temporary and permanent visas.

If you have a dependent child who does not hold a subclass 309 visa, you can add them to your application before we make a decision on your permanent visa application.

The child must hold a Dependent Child visa (subclass 445)

Complete Form 1002 – Application by a subclass 445 dependent child for a permanent partner visa (280KB PDF) and attach it to your ImmiAccount.

Your family members must meet our health requirement. They must also meet our character requirement if they are 16 years old or older. Family members who are not applying for the visa might also need to meet our health requirement.

Newborn children

Find out how to add a newborn child to your application.


You paid for this visa when you applied for the combined temporary and permanent partner visas.

You might have to pay other costs such as those for health checks or police certificates.

Processing times

We process:

  • 75% of applications in 16 months
  • 90% of applications in 22 months

Our assessment will take longer to process if:

  • you don’t include all the documents we need
  • we need more information from you
  • it takes us time to verify your information

Your obligations

You and your family members must obey all Australian laws.

Note: If you are outside Australia at the time of visa grant you must enter Australia before the date specified in your grant letter. The first entry date is generally set at 12 months from the date of visa grant.

Visa label

We will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.

Have this visa

Usually, you must hold:

  • a Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309), or
  • a Dependent Child (subclass 445) visa

Usually, 2 years must have passed since you applied for the combined 309 and 100 visa for you to be assessed for the permanent visa. 

If you were in a long-term relationship or your sponsor held a specific visa before you applied, you might be granted the permanent visa within less than 2 years. We will let you know if this applies to you.

Continue to meet relationship requirements

You must continue to be the spouse or de facto partner of the same person who sponsored you for the temporary visa. 

We must approve the sponsorship.

You must:

  • be married or in a de facto relationship
  • have a genuine and continuing relationship
  • live together, or not live permanently separately and apart
  • be mutually committed to a shared life excluding other partners

You might still be eligible for the permanent visa if your relationship breaks down or your partner dies before we grant the permanent visa.

Pay your debts to the Australian Government

If you or any family members (including those who don’t apply for the visa with you) owe the Australian Government money, you or they must have paid it back or have an approved arrangement in place to pay it back

Best interests of the child

We might not grant this visa if it is not in the best interests of an applicant under 18.

get advice and assistance

We Will Help You Renew Your Student Visa On Time!

Here at Settlers Migration our team of migration agents can provide you with the appropriate guidance and advice so you can put forth the best application possible for any Visa you are going for.

Seraphinite AcceleratorOptimized by Seraphinite Accelerator
Turns on site high speed to be attractive for people and search engines.